|The last we'll see of Star Wars Scratch & Sniff?|
Along with the renewed public interest in Star Wars came many related products, including this bizarre kids' book from the "Golden Books" series (at the time not called "Little Golden Books") Star Wars: A More Wretched Hive: The Mos Eisley Cantina (1997). What makes this one so odd? It's a Scratch and Sniff book!
Yep that's right. You get to SMELL the infamous Mos Eisley Cantina, inside and out!
Scratch and Sniff books were a popular novelty in publishing during the 1980's but not very common nowadays. There were earlier titles that incorporated the concept into Star Wars books. A More Wretched Hive appears to be the last one made.
The story, told by Margaret Ryder, is a quick version of Luke and Obi-Wan's first meeting with Han Solo and Chewbacca, then blasting off in the Millennium Falcon. Ryder has fun with emphasizing the gross smells the characters encounter. The book is illustrated with photos specifically from the 1997 "Special Edition" version of Episode 4. However it's the smells that make A More Wretched Hive stand out!
|Smell Jabba the Hutt if you dare!|
- "horrible" smells coming from the Cantina
- "foamy, fruity" drinks served inside
- "the sharp, electrical scent" of Obi-Wan's lightsaber (smells a little like cinnamon)
- Chewbacca's "strong, swampy odor" (smells like patchouli oil)
- Greedo's bad breath "worse than a Sarlacc" (yes, it is!)
- "Jabba's rotten aroma" (did anyone really want to smell this??)
- the Millennium Falcon's "hot starship exhaust"
If you feel the need to join in these delightful smells A More Wretched Hive is often still available online or in used book stores. For good or bad, the 19 year-old smell stickers may not work so well anymore though.
As Jar Jar would say: